Squishmallows are a brand of soft, plush toys that gained significant popularity in the 2010s and 2020s. These plush toys stand out due to their super-soft texture, which gives them a unique squishy feel, as the name implies. They are made from a super soft, marshmallow-like material, making them very huggable and squeezable.
Squishmallows come in a wide variety of designs, from animals to mythical creatures to even certain licensed characters. They are available in various sizes, from small keychain-sized versions to large pillow-sized ones. The diverse range of characters and the squishy, comforting texture have contributed to the toy’s broad appeal among both children and adults.
The brand’s community aspect also boosted its popularity. Many Squishmallow enthusiasts collect multiple characters and often discuss, trade, or showcase their collections on social media platforms. This community aspect, combined with the toys’ inherent charm, has ensured that Squishmallows remain a sought-after product for many fans.
Are Squishmallows valuable?
The value of Squishmallows can vary widely based on several factors:
Rarity: Some Squishmallows are produced in limited quantities or are exclusive to certain regions or retailers. These can become more sought after and, thus, more valuable in the secondary market.
Condition: Like most collectibles, Squishmallows in mint or near-mint condition (i.e., no stains, tears, or other damage and preferably with original tags) tend to fetch higher prices.
Size: Larger Squishmallows, especially those that were produced in limited numbers, can sometimes be more valuable than their smaller counterparts.
Character: Certain characters or designs might be more popular than others, driving up their demand and value. For example, a hard-to-find character or one that becomes iconic within the Squishmallow community might sell for more.
Age: Older Squishmallows, especially first editions or those from the early days of the brand, might appreciate in value, especially if they were produced in limited quantities or have become hard to find.
Market Trends: As with many collectibles, the value can be influenced by market trends. If Squishmallows experience a surge in popularity, the demand and prices in the secondary market might increase. Conversely, if the fad fades, prices might decrease.
While many Squishmallows are bought and enjoyed for their comfort and aesthetic appeal rather than as investments, there’s a subset of collectors who do trade them, and certain ones can indeed become valuable. However, it’s essential to remember that the collectibles market can be unpredictable. What’s sought-after today might not necessarily retain its value in the long term. If someone is considering collecting Squishmallows as an investment, it’s always a good idea to do thorough research and possibly consult with experts in the collectibles market.
Where can you buy Squishmallows in Canada?
In Canada, Squishmallows can be found at a variety of retail locations and online stores. Here are some places where you can typically find Squishmallows:
- Big Box Retailers: Stores like Walmart, Costco, and Toys “R” Us often carry Squishmallows, especially during holiday seasons or peak shopping times.
- Specialty Toy Stores: Independent or chain toy stores may carry a selection of Squishmallows.
- Pharmacy Chains: Chains like Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall, and London Drugs might stock Squishmallows in their toy or seasonal sections.
- Online Retailers: Websites like Amazon.ca, Walmart.ca, and others often have a variety of Squishmallows available. You can also check the official Squishmallows website for Canadian retailers or online purchasing options.
- Secondary Market: If you’re looking for rare or specific Squishmallows, platforms like eBay, Kijiji, or Facebook Marketplace can be useful. However, prices can be inflated based on demand and rarity, so it’s always a good idea to research typical prices and be wary of potential scams.
- Seasonal Stores: During certain times of the year, stores that specialize in seasonal goods (e.g., Christmas or Halloween stores) might stock Squishmallows as part of their offerings.
It’s always a good idea to check stock availability before visiting a physical store, especially if you’re looking for a specific character or size. Additionally, remember that the selection can vary between locations and over time, so it might be worth checking multiple sources if you’re hunting for a particular Squishmallow.
We Hate Paywalls Too!
At Cantech Letter we prize independent journalism like you do. And we don't care for paywalls and popups and all that noise That's why we need your support. If you value getting your daily information from the experts, won't you help us? No donation is too small.