What is Zipline?
Zipline is a company that specializes in using drones to deliver medical supplies, primarily focusing on delivering essential healthcare products such as blood, vaccines, and medications to remote and hard-to-reach areas. The company was founded in 2014 by Keller Rinaudo, Keenan Wyrobek, and William Hetzler.
Zipline’s mission is to improve access to critical medical supplies in regions with inadequate infrastructure or challenging terrain. The company operates a network of autonomous drones that can carry payloads over long distances and navigate difficult environments to reach remote clinics and health facilities. The drones are designed to drop supplies via parachute to designated delivery zones.
Zipline’s technology has been particularly useful in regions with limited road access or during emergencies when timely medical supply delivery is crucial. The company has partnered with several governments and organizations to provide their drone delivery services in countries like Rwanda, Ghana, and the United States.
Can I invest in Zipline?
In May 2019, Zipline secured a funding of $190 million, with a post-money valuation of $1.2 billion.
Zipline is a private company. This means that the company is not publicly traded on stock exchanges, and its ownership is not available to the general public through stock purchases. Private companies often rely on investments from venture capital firms, private equity, and other sources to fund their operations and growth. Keep in mind that circumstances may have changed since then, so I recommend checking the latest information to confirm the current status of Zipline.
How do you invest in private companies like Zipline?
Several services and platforms allow the public to invest in private companies through various investment mechanisms. Some of these include:
- Equity Crowdfunding Platforms: These platforms enable individuals to invest in private companies in exchange for equity or ownership stakes. Examples include SeedInvest, StartEngine, and Republic.
- AngelList: AngelList is a platform that connects startups with accredited investors interested in investing in early-stage companies.
- Secondary Marketplaces: Some platforms, such as SharesPost and EquityZen, facilitate buying and selling shares of private companies from existing shareholders.
- Venture Capital Funds: Certain venture capital funds, like Andreessen Horowitz’s a16z crypto fund, enable limited partners to invest in a portfolio of startups.
- Direct Listings: Some companies have taken an alternative route to going public, conducting direct listings that allow existing shareholders and the public to buy shares directly on the stock exchange.
- Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs): While not investing directly in private companies, SPACs raise funds from the public with the intention of acquiring a private company and taking it public.
- Real Estate Crowdfunding: Although not investing in traditional startups, some platforms allow individuals to invest in real estate projects and developments.
- Online Investment Platforms: Certain online investment platforms offer access to private equity and venture capital funds, allowing individuals to invest in a diversified range of private companies.
- Robo-Advisors: Some robo-advisory platforms offer exposure to private markets through their investment offerings.
It’s important to note that investing in private companies carries higher risks and requires a thorough understanding of the investment landscape. Additionally, regulations around investing in private companies can vary by country and investor accreditation status. Always conduct thorough research and consider consulting a financial advisor before making any investment decisions.
Is Bono involved with Zipline?
Bono, the lead vocalist of the band U2, joined the board of directors of Zipline in September 2019. This suggests his involvement with the company’s operations and strategic decisions. Bono’s participation on the board might bring attention to Zipline’s efforts to improve healthcare access through drone technology and highlight the importance of the company’s mission in remote and underserved areas.