Three Toronto start-ups and six more from Montreal are among 42 international start-ups converging on Silicon Valley to participate in the inaugural FounderX Advisory Program from May 4 – 6, as part of the Founder Institute Investor Roadshow.
Selected from among more than 300 applications from around the world, the 42 participating start-up hopefuls are recent Founder Institute graduates who were selected for their growth potential to participate in a three-day series of networking events, workshops and formal dinners with other start-up CEOs, tech executives and company directors.
The VC roadshow will bring the group of 42 start-ups to visit some of Silicon Valley’s top investors, including Sequoia Capital, FLOODGATE, Venrock, Shasta Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Mohr Davidow, True Ventures, Founders Fund, Altos Ventures, Khosla Ventures, and 500 Startups.
The participating start-ups are part of a truly international group hailing from 25 countries around the world, and cities including Madrid, Bangalore, Melbourne, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Paris, Singapore, Athens and Islamabad.
FounderX spans more than 110 cities and 60-plus countries, and claims to have launched more than 2,100 graduate companies, resulting in the creation of over 15,000 jobs.
Registered attendees include startup founders and leaders from over 25 countries across the Founder Institute’s global network.
Among the speakers at the three-day event is University of Toronto research and clinical PhD psychologist Jordan B. Peterson, whose series of lectures on personality and the nature of self-deception is one of the greatest things ever posted to YouTube.
These are the Canadian participants heading down to Silicon Valley for FounderX:
- Ask PAM & Founder Pamela Alfred (Montreal Founder Institute): Ask PAM is a web-based productivity & management tool for the modern-day Concierge. The company is already working with several five-star hotels, and top tourism and event organizations in their limited trial.
- Find Bob & Founder Roland Chan (Toronto Founder Institute): The Find Bob platform makes it easy to internally transition financial practices so firms can protect & grow their most precious asset: their Book of Business. The company has already signed on 500+ customers, including the largest general agent in Canada.
- Flystro & Founder Bassam Rhou (Montreal Founder Institute): Flystro is an online marketplace connecting drone pilots to clients needing drone filming services. The company has already recruited a significant number of top drone pilots, and starting to generate revenue through bookings.
- MakerBloks & Founder Francois Poirier (Montreal Founder Institute): MakerBloks are electronic building blocks that teach kids basic STEM concepts, complemented by an app that links the blocks to interactive stories. The company has won several competitions, has signed LOIs with top retailers, and is about to surpass $100,000 in pre-sales.
- NUKERN & Founder Philippe Rivard (Montreal Founder Institute): Nukern is a full software solution that helps customers set their web hosting business on autopilot. The company recently launched a very popular open beta, and is growing very quickly.
- Peerfunder & Founder Jonathan Lam (Toronto Founder Institute): Peerfunder is a peer-to-peer revenue-based lending marketplace focused exclusively on helping main street businesses finance their growth and expansion. The company has secured significant funding, and has also secured over $300,000 in committed capital to fund Peerfunder loans.
- RentHunt & Founder Pierre Sabbagh (Montreal Founder Institute): RentHunt is a matching platform that helps landlords find their perfect tenant. The company is growing quickly, and recently secured a partnership to facilitate the management of over 45,000 rental units.
- Shapetrace & Founder Ernest Yap (Toronto Founder Institute): Shapetrace develops AR/VR software for construction teams that enables same-day error detection and reduce re-work costs. The company already has active pilot projects with two of Canada’s largest transportation projects, and more.
- WealthTab & Founder Mike Blicker (Montreal Founder Institute): WealthTab is an integrated, white-labeled platform for financial professionals and their clients. The company is currently in private beta and is signing up financial professionals at an impressive rate.