Checkr is a company that revolutionized the background check industry through its innovative use of technology. Founded in 2014, Checkr is based in San Francisco and has made a name for itself by offering an automated, data-driven approach to background checks. This approach is designed to make the hiring process more efficient, accurate, and fair.
The core service provided by Checkr involves conducting background checks for clients, primarily businesses looking to hire new employees. These background checks are comprehensive, covering areas such as criminal records, employment history, education verification, and motor vehicle records. What sets Checkr apart is its use of advanced algorithms and artificial intelligence to streamline the background check process. This technology not only speeds up the process but also helps reduce human error, leading to more reliable results.
Checkr’s platform integrates with many Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS), making it a convenient choice for companies of various sizes and industries. This integration allows employers to easily request background checks and view results directly within their existing HR software, further simplifying the hiring process.
A significant aspect of Checkr’s business model is its commitment to fairness in hiring. The company places a strong emphasis on reducing bias in the background check process, which aligns with the growing societal and corporate focus on diversity and inclusion. Checkr’s approach aims to ensure that candidates are not unfairly judged based on their past, thereby opening up more opportunities for people who might have been marginalized by traditional background screening methods.
Over the years, Checkr has attracted significant investment and has grown rapidly. Its client base includes a range of companies, from startups to large corporations, reflecting the broad appeal and applicability of its services. As the workforce continues to evolve and the importance of efficient, fair hiring practices becomes increasingly recognized, Checkr’s role in shaping the future of background screening and the hiring process is likely to expand further.
Checkr has been tight-lipped about a potential IPO. The company would seem to be a prime candidate, though. The company was featured by Forbes as part of a list of potential billion dollar startups in 2016, and more than achieved that in 2023, when Forbes featured the company again.
“Checkr was featured on the 2016 Next-Billion Dollar Startups at a time when the company had raised just $50 million, Forbes said. “Today, Checkr leverages automation and artificial intelligence to process over 30 million background checks annually, resulting in faster, more accurate, and more compliant results. Boasting notable tech customers like Lyft, Instacart, Netflix, and Airbnb, Checkr’s innovative approach to background checks has driven its valuation to an impressive $5.0 billion as of 2021.”
Checkr boasts a who’s who of privco investors, including Fidelity Management & Research, Franklin Templeton, BOND Capital, Khosla Ventures, IVP, T. Rowe Price, Coatue, Accel and Y Combinator.
Checkr competitive advantage
Checkr’s competitive advantage in the background check industry is built around its innovative use of technology and commitment to fairness and efficiency in the hiring process. The company differentiates itself primarily through the following aspects:
- Technology-Driven Approach: Checkr leverages advanced algorithms and artificial intelligence to automate and streamline the background check process. This technological approach not only speeds up the process but also enhances accuracy by reducing human errors, a key differentiator in an industry traditionally reliant on manual checks.
- Integration with HR Systems: The platform’s ability to integrate seamlessly with various Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) and HR software is a significant advantage. This integration simplifies the workflow for employers, allowing them to request and review background checks directly within the tools they already use for hiring. It makes the process more efficient and user-friendly for HR departments.
- Focus on Fairness and Inclusion: Checkr stands out for its commitment to fairness in hiring. The company aims to reduce bias in the background check process, aligning with the increasing focus on diversity and inclusion in the workplace. By promoting fairer hiring practices, Checkr appeals to a broad range of companies looking to enhance their corporate social responsibility and inclusivity.
- Comprehensive and Accurate Checks: Offering a wide range of background check services, including criminal records, employment history, education verification, and motor vehicle records, Checkr provides a comprehensive screening solution. The accuracy and breadth of its services make it a reliable choice for employers.
- Scalability for Various Business Sizes: Checkr’s solutions are scalable and cater to a diverse client base, from startups to large enterprises. This flexibility allows the company to address the needs of different businesses effectively.
- Innovative Business Model: Operating in a sector that has seen little innovation over the years, Checkr’s modern approach to background checks positions it as a disruptor. The company’s growth and the investment it has attracted underline the market’s recognition of its innovative business model.
By combining technological innovation with a commitment to ethical and efficient practices, Checkr has carved out a unique position in the background check industry. As the landscape of hiring continues to evolve, Checkr’s approach positions it well to meet the changing demands of employers and job seekers alike.
Who are Checkr’s competitors?
Checkr operates in the competitive landscape of background check and employment screening services, where it faces competition from various companies offering similar or overlapping services. Specific competitors of Checkr include:
- Sterling: A well-established company in the background check industry, Sterling offers a range of screening services, including criminal checks, identity verification, and drug testing. They serve various industries and are known for their comprehensive and global background screening solutions.
- HireRight: This company provides employee background checks and pre-employment screening services. HireRight is recognized for its extensive service offerings that cater to a wide range of industries and its global reach.
- First Advantage: Another major player, First Advantage offers background screening services that include criminal background checks, identity verification, and drug testing. They serve diverse sectors, including healthcare, transportation, and finance.
- GoodHire: GoodHire is known for its user-friendly platform and services tailored to small and medium-sized businesses. They provide a range of background check services, including criminal records searches and employment verification.
- Accurate Background: This company offers comprehensive background screening services and is recognized for its technology-driven approach. Their services include criminal checks, drug and health screening, and international background checks.
- IntelliCorp: A part of the Verisk Analytics family of companies, IntelliCorp offers background checks and employment screening services. They cater to various industries and are known for their risk management solutions.
- BeenVerified: Primarily a consumer-focused background check company, BeenVerified also competes in the broader background screening market. They provide access to public records and various personal background check services.
- TruthFinder: Similar to BeenVerified, TruthFinder offers background check services primarily targeted at consumers. They provide access to public records, including criminal records, contact information, and more.
Each of these competitors brings different strengths to the market. For example, companies like Sterling and HireRight have a strong global presence and offer a wide range of services, while GoodHire and Accurate Background are known for their user-friendly platforms and focus on small to medium-sized businesses. Checkr differentiates itself in this competitive landscape through its technology-driven approach, focus on fairness, and integration capabilities with various HR systems.
We Hate Paywalls Too!
At Cantech Letter we prize independent journalism like you do. And we don't care for paywalls and popups and all that noise That's why we need your support. If you value getting your daily information from the experts, won't you help us? No donation is too small.