National Nonprofit Day is observed on August 17th each year in the United States. It is a day dedicated to recognizing and celebrating the contributions of nonprofit organizations and the individuals, volunteers, and donors who support them. Nonprofit organizations, also known as charities or NGOs (Non-Governmental Organizations), play a vital role in addressing a wide range of social, environmental, and community needs.
On National Nonprofit Day, people and communities are encouraged to:
- Raise Awareness: The day serves as an opportunity to raise awareness about the work of nonprofit organizations, their missions, and the issues they address.
- Express Gratitude: It’s a day to express gratitude to the staff, volunteers, and supporters of nonprofit organizations who dedicate their time, effort, and resources to make a positive impact.
- Get Involved: Individuals are encouraged to get involved with nonprofit organizations by volunteering, making donations, or contributing in other ways to causes they are passionate about.
- Learn About Nonprofits: National Nonprofit Day is also an opportunity for people to learn more about the nonprofit sector and the various organizations that exist to address a wide range of societal needs.
- Share Stories: Sharing stories of the positive impact of nonprofit organizations can inspire others to support or get involved with similar causes.
The day provides a platform to celebrate the nonprofit sector’s efforts to improve communities, promote social justice, support the arts, protect the environment, provide healthcare and education, and address many other important issues. It’s a reminder of the critical role that nonprofits play in making the world a better place and the importance of supporting their work.
How many nonprofit organizations are in the United States?
As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, there were over 1.5 million nonprofit organizations registered in the United States. However, please note that the number of nonprofit organizations can change over time due to new registrations, mergers, closures, and other factors.
Nonprofit organizations in the United States encompass a wide range of sectors and missions, including charitable organizations, educational institutions, religious organizations, healthcare providers, arts and culture organizations, environmental groups, and many more. These organizations play a crucial role in addressing various social, cultural, educational, and community needs.
What are the largest nonprofits in the United States?
We Hate Paywalls Too!
At Cantech Letter we prize independent journalism like you do. And we don't care for paywalls and popups and all that noise That's why we need your support. If you value getting your daily information from the experts, won't you help us? No donation is too small.