The Halifax Stanfield International Airport is the largest airport in Atlantic Canada and is located in Enfield, Nova Scotia, approximately 35 kilometers (22 miles) from downtown Halifax.
The airport has a single terminal building with two levels and serves over 4 million passengers annually. It offers both domestic and international flights to destinations across Canada, the United States, Europe, and the Caribbean.
The terminal building at the Halifax airport features a range of amenities for travelers, including restaurants, cafes, shops, duty-free stores, lounges, and free Wi-Fi. The airport also has a variety of services for travelers with special needs, including accessible parking, elevators, and wheelchair assistance.
In addition to commercial passenger flights, the Halifax airport is also a major cargo hub, handling millions of pounds of freight each year. The airport has a modern cargo facility with refrigeration and freezer storage capabilities to handle perishable goods, as well as a range of other cargo services.
The Halifax Stanfield International Airport is named after Robert Stanfield, a former Premier of Nova Scotia and federal leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada.
Robert Stanfield was born in Truro, Nova Scotia in 1914 and served as the Premier of Nova Scotia from 1956 to 1967. He later became the leader of the federal Progressive Conservative Party and served as Leader of the Official Opposition in the Canadian Parliament from 1967 to 1976.
Robert Stanfield was widely respected for his integrity, intelligence, and dedication to public service. He was also a strong advocate for economic development in Atlantic Canada and played a key role in the establishment of the Halifax airport. The airport was renamed in his honor in 2007.
Are there car rentals at Halifax airport?
There are several car rental companies located at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport. Passengers can rent a car from the airport’s on-site car rental companies, which include major international brands such as Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, National, and Thrifty.
The car rental companies’ desks are located in the arrivals area of the terminal building, just past the baggage claim area. Passengers can also make reservations online in advance to ensure availability and to save time upon arrival at the airport.
It’s worth noting that the Halifax airport is located approximately 35 kilometers (22 miles) from downtown Halifax, so renting a car can be a convenient way to explore the area and visit nearby attractions. Additionally, many car rental companies offer one-way rentals, allowing passengers to drop off their rental car at a different location if needed.
Are there hotels at Halifax airport?
There are several hotels located near the Halifax Stanfield International Airport that offer convenient accommodation options for travelers. Some of the hotels near the airport include:
- Alt Hotel Halifax Airport: This modern hotel is located just steps away from the airport terminal building and offers stylish rooms and suites with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, a fitness center, and on-site restaurant.
- Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport: This hotel is located less than 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the airport and offers comfortable rooms with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, a 24-hour fitness center, and on-site restaurant.
- Quality Inn Halifax Airport: This hotel is located approximately 2.5 kilometers (1.6 miles) from the airport and offers affordable rooms with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, a fitness center, and complimentary breakfast.
- Holiday Inn Express Halifax Airport: This hotel is located approximately 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) from the airport and offers comfortable rooms with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, a fitness center, and complimentary breakfast.
- Aerotech Suites: This hotel is located approximately 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) from the airport and offers spacious suites with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, a kitchenette, and on-site laundry facilities.
Most of these hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the airport for their guests, making it easy to get to and from the airport. Additionally, many of the hotels near the Halifax airport offer park-and-fly packages, allowing travelers to park their car at the hotel while they are away and offering shuttle service to and from the airport.
Where can you fly to from Halifax Stanfield?
The Halifax Stanfield International Airport offers both domestic and international flights to destinations around the world. Some of the domestic destinations served by the airport include:
- St. John’s
- Deer Lake
The airport also offers international flights to a range of destinations in the United States, Europe, and the Caribbean, including:
- New York City
- Montego Bay
- Punta Cana
The airport is served by a number of major airlines, including Air Canada, WestJet, Porter Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Icelandair, and Condor. The airport is also a hub for the regional airline, Air Canada Express.
What is the Halifax Airport Code?
The Halifax Stanfield International Airport’s IATA code is “YHZ”, and its ICAO code is “CYHZ”.
Is there a Garden Inn at the Halifax Airport?
Yes, there is a Hilton Garden Inn located near the Halifax Stanfield International Airport. The hotel is called the Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport and is located at 200 Pratt & Whitney Drive, just a short distance from the airport terminal building. The hotel offers a variety of amenities for guests, including free Wi-Fi, a fitness center, an indoor pool, and an on-site restaurant. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport for its guests.
How far is Stanfield Airport from Halifax?
The Halifax Stanfield International Airport is located approximately 35 kilometers (22 miles) from downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia. The driving time from the airport to downtown Halifax is typically around 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic conditions. There are several transportation options available for getting to and from the airport, including taxis, rental cars, and public transportation. The airport also offers a complimentary shuttle service to select hotels in the area, making it easy to get to your accommodation upon arrival.
What are some things to do in Halifax?
Halifax, Nova Scotia offers a variety of things to see and do, including:
- Explore the Halifax Waterfront: The Halifax Waterfront is a bustling area with lots of shops, restaurants, and attractions. Take a stroll along the boardwalk and enjoy the view of the harbor, or take a ferry ride across the harbor to the Dartmouth side.
- Visit the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site: The Halifax Citadel is a historic fort that offers stunning views of the city. Explore the ramparts and learn about the fort’s role in Halifax’s history.
- Discover the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic: The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is home to a collection of artifacts and exhibits that showcase the maritime history of Nova Scotia. Learn about the Titanic and Halifax’s role in the aftermath of the disaster.
- Take a walk through Point Pleasant Park: Point Pleasant Park is a beautiful park located on the southern tip of the Halifax peninsula. Enjoy a leisurely stroll through the park’s walking trails and take in the views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Check out the Halifax Public Gardens: The Halifax Public Gardens is a Victorian-style garden that features a variety of plants, fountains, and sculptures. Take a relaxing walk through the gardens and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Visit the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21: The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 is a museum that tells the stories of the millions of immigrants who came to Canada through the port of Halifax. Learn about the immigration experience and the contributions of immigrants to Canada’s cultural heritage.
- Enjoy a meal at one of Halifax’s many restaurants: Halifax has a vibrant culinary scene with a variety of restaurants offering everything from seafood to international cuisine. Don’t miss the opportunity to try some of the local specialties, such as seafood chowder or a donair.