Lightspeed CEO and founder Dax Dasilva will be returning to his hometown of Vancouver to deliver the closing keynote for a TSX Ignite half-day conference for local entrepreneurs, participating in a fireside chat conversation with Bloomberg LP Natalie Vancouver Bureau Chief, Obiko Pearson.
Welcoming remarks will be delivered by BC Tech Association president & CEO Bill Tam, followed by a series of panel discussions featuring several of Canada’s preeminent entrepreneurs and venture capitalists.
Founded in 2005 by Dasilva, Lightspeed is backed by Accel Partners, iNovia Capital, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, and Investissement Québec, has also raised an investment total of US$126 million, including US$61 million last September, and now has offices in Canada, the U.S. and Europe.
Lightspeed’s Point of Sale and eCommerce tools are now used by more than 40,000 retailers and restaurateurs in more than 100 countries, using the company’s Retail, Restaurant and eCommerce platforms to process over $15 billion in transactions annually.
Immediately before the closing keynote, TSX & TSXV Head of Business Development – Innovation, Michael Kousaie, will lead a panel discussion entitled “Funding Options that You’re Probably Ignoring”.
Earlier in the day, Cantech Letter founder and editor Nick Waddell will be moderating a chat with TIO Networks founder and CEO Hamed Shahbazi and Launch Academy co-founder and CEO Ray Walia, called “Transitioning from Start-Up to a ‘Legit’ Company”.
TSX Ignite is a program dedicated to the growth and development of small and medium-sized companies, for which the Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange and legal, accounting and banking experts from across the country have brought together information on essential practices for any ambitious entrepreneur or manager of a growth-oriented company.
Interest on the part of investor remains high for companies taking public markets route in Canada, as evidenced by Aritzia’s wildly $400 million debut on the TSE this past October, which was oversubscribed by a factor of 10 and represented the largest event on Canadian markets during the entire year.
Register here for the event, held from 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 15, at SFU’s Segal Building on Granville Street.
8:30 AM – Registration and Networking
9:00 AM – Welcome Remarks
- TMX & Bill Tam, President & CEO, BC Tech Association
9:15 AM – Delivering Great Pitches
- Moderator: Alexander G. Kuo, CNW Group
- Eric Bukovinsky, Yaletown Venture Partners
- Michael Goehring, NATIONAL Public Relations
- Michael Gokturk, Payfirma
9:40 AM – Transitioning from Start-Up to a “Legit” Company
- Moderator: Nick Waddell, Founder & Editor, Cantech Letter
- Hamed Shahbazi, TIO Networks
- Ray Walia, Launch Academy
10:05 AM – Preparing to Raise Money
- Moderator: Orlee Wertheim, TSX & TSXV
- Kate Hiscox, Venzee Inc.
- John Keserich, BDO Canada LLP
- Bernard Pinsky, Clark Wilson LLP
10:30 AM – Funding Options that You’re Probably Ignoring
- Moderator: Michael Kousaie, Head, Business Development – Innovation, TSX & TSXV
- Warren Learmonth, BLG LLP
- Richard Mockett, EY
- Greg Smith, TIMIA Capital
- Caterina Papadakos, Espresso Capital
- Andy Creech, TSX Venture Exchange and TSX Private Markets
10:50 AM – Closing Keynote / Fireside chat
- Dax Dasilva, CEO & Founder, Lightspeed
- Natalie Obiko Pearson, Vancouver Bureau Chief, Bloomberg LP
11:20 AM – Closing Remarks and Networking