Tom Liston is an analyst who is more than familiar to Cantech Letter readers.
Liston, who was recently made Cantor Fitzgerald’s Director of Canadian Research, has already made a name for himself by alerting his clients early to names such as Catamaran (formerly SXC Health) Descartes Systems and Absolute Software.
Liston’s picks signal we are nearing the end of our look at the TSX Venture Exchange. We’ll be tallying the votes from the more than dozen analysts judges, then we’ll allow you to vote on three finalists. Once again, we would like to point out the generous support of the Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange. Cantech Letter, the award winners, and many of the analysts who will vote on the awards will open the trading day on TSX and TSXV on Friday, January 11, 2013, with an official Market Open Ceremony.
So, to Mr. Liston’s picks…
Tom Liston’s TSX Venture Exchange Canadian Tech Stock of the Year
1. Amaya Gaming (TSXV:AYA) – 82% return year to date on the back of significant growth across all financial metrics.
2. Guestlogix (TSXV:GXI) – a year of change – most notably a change in CEOs and a strategic review has vaulted the shares to 93% year to date return.
3. QHR Technologies (TSXV:QHR) – while the share price has caught up to recent activity, a strategic acquisition (Open EC) and Healthscreen conversions make it the leading horse to ride the EMR adoption wave.
Tom Liston’s 2012 TSX Venture Canadian Tech Executive of the Year
1. Michael Wekerle, Executive Chairman of Difference Capital (TSXV:DCF). “Wek” has helped re-engergize Canadian tech and targets a gap in the Canadian scene – large stage and pre-IPO funding. The recent investment into Virgin Gaming is more proof.
2. David Baazov, Chairman, President and CEO of Amaya Gaming (TSXV:AYA). Mr. Baazov has made a number of acquisitions leading to significant financial improvement.
3. Al Hildebrandt, President and CEO of QHR Technologies (TSXV:QHR). Mr. Hildebrandt acquired Open EC to launch up its U.S. entry as well as added Art Mesher (CEO of Descartes) to its already impressive board. 2012 laid the foundation for Canada’s leading Electronic Medical Record Vendor.